- For Safe Travel - We will be on at least 7 airplanes and 1 bullet train while we are there, plus taxis, buses, and various other transportation. While Brian and I are experienced in traveling, Shen Yao has probably been in a car just a few times in her life. On the day we get her, she will have traveled many hours on a train.
- For Lack of Jet Lag - We will be on a plane for many hours and the time difference is 13 hours. We will arrive in Shanghai in the early afternoon, so we'll try to stay awake there as long as possible.
- For Health - The last time I was in China, I got food poisoning and felt like I was going to die. I won't be venturing out and eating any street food, but still, the food preparation is different than our stomachs are used to eating. I have a tickle in my throat right now, too, so I'm hoping that doesn't turn into a cold. I've been hand sanitizing a lot at school, as many of my students are sniffling, sneezing and coughing!
It is somewhat common for children to get sick after they are adopted because of the many changes they go through - different food, schedule, etc. In China, they also dress their children in many layers, so Shen Yao may be used to being warmer than what we may think she needs to be. This change in temperature may also weaken her immune system.
- For Bonding - Shen Yao has probably had many caregivers in her young life. We want her to know that we are here for her forever. Please pray that her bond to us will be strong. Also, there are few men who work in the orphanages, so sometimes children have a difficult time bonding with their fathers right away. Pray that she will bond and trust both Brian and I. We will have many hours together to get to know each other, but the communication will probably be difficult because of the language difference. Pray that we will be able to figure out her needs quickly.
- For Adjusting - Pray for the adjustments that all of us will be making. Sleeping, eating, free time, etc. will be changing for all of us. Pray that we will be able to function and have patience with the amount of sleep that the Lord gives us each night.
- For Our Orphanage Visit - We have been denied our request to visit Shen Yao's orphanage. We would really like to go, so that when she asks about it someday, we will have had an experience there. They can still change their mind, so please pray that they do.
- For Work and School - Please pray for us as we prepare to leave work and school. We are preparing as best as we can for our absence, and we are very thankful for those who are assisting us during our time in China.
We enjoyed a special treat and time of questions and prayer in Sunday School today. Thanks to our youth group and fellow leaders for the send off today! We really appreciate your love and support.